Sunday, November 14, 2010

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia S6E9 "Dee Reynolds: Shaping America's Youth"

This is such a great episode!

Like really, this might not be my favorite episode ever ("Mac Bangs Dennis' Mom" and "The Gang Solves the North Korea Situation" are still the top two), but it is really close. There are two distinct parts of the episode and they were both hilarious.

I loved at the beginning of the episode, with Charlie just walking through the halls of the school like he's the big man on campus. When the kids started calling him "the prof" I really could not contain myself. When he meets the Juggalo who he takes under his wing, his "protege", that was brilliant, and I really hope Richie keeps showing up on the show. If only for the Juggalo jokes. (I really should make a post about the Juggalos sometime. It's sad that they would be so obsessed about anything, but especially over such a terrible band.) And Dee trying to teach her drama class, telling them they will have a field trip to Broadway. Hahaha. And I love Dave Foley coming back as Principal McIntyre, he's a great straight man for the gang's antics.

Okay, so I know this is one of my more rambling reviews. I get that. There's not going to be much structure here, get over it. I will continue now.

So while all this stuff if going on at Dee's and Charlie's school, there's another plotline going on back at the bar, involving Dennis, Mac, and Frank. It turns out that a while ago they shot a fan-fiction sequel to Lethal Weapon, and they're debating on whether to re-shoot the movie, depending on whether it's acceptable for Mac to use blackface in his performance as the Danny Glover character (I'm sorry I don't know his name... I've never seen the Lethal Weapon movies). Dee is looking for a field trip idea, because obviously Principal McIntyre didn't approve of the Broadway suggestion, so the gang decides to show her class "Othello", so they can judge whether Laurence Olivier's use of blackface was okay. But when Dee shows up with her class, the gang decides to be more direct and just shows the kids their movie.

And as much as I liked the scenes of Charlie in the school, the whole episode really is just an excuse to show the guys' movie, and it is hilarious. The production value of this thing, as we've seen before in previous gang-produced projects like the Kitten Mittens commercial, is awful, and the story makes no sense. And when Charlie chides Richie for filming the movie on his phone (this is a paraphrase because I'm too lazy to watch the episode again - "That's bootlegging! Don't bootleg, man, I'll get you a copy") is a hilarious moment, especially when it turns out that this movie is just a video on Youtube. The whole video is hilarious.

I really loved this episode. Like I said, I think it's in my top three ever. Sorry the review was so weird, but that's just how my mind is. So yeah, that's all for now. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment