Thursday, February 3, 2011

5 Biggest Oscar Nomination Snubs

When the Oscar nominations are announced, last Tuesday in this year's case (I started writing this post the day after... thank my laziness) there's always a lot of outcry over who was and wasn't nominated. The media seems to be a little more satisfied this year than in others, but I still saw some glaring omissions from the list of nominees.

5. "Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World", Anything

I didn't expect "Scott Pilgrim" to be get Best Picture or anything, but it's ridiculous that it got totally shut out. I was fascinatingly innovative, a visual spectacle and fun that even most critics enjoyed. I would have not only nominated, but given the Best Director award to Edgar Wright, but this movie didn't even get a nod for art direction or anything like that.










4. Daft Punk, Best Original Score, "Tron: Legacy"
This soundtrack was so good it was like a new Daft Punk album. And it complemented the movie so well (I can say this very confidently considering I didn't see it). At least it complemented the spirit I imagine the movie had. And it says something when a film score becomes a hit on the pop charts.










3. Ryan Gosling, Best Actor in a Leading Role, "Blue Valentine"
As good as Michelle Williams' performance was in this movie (and I do really, really love her in general), I think they nominated the wrong actor. Gosling jumped into and fit so snugly into his role, and gave his character so much more depth than he even needed to in order to make the movie adequate. Or, as a layman would say, he acted his ass off.





2. Robert Duvall, Best Actor in a Leading Role, "Get Low"
Duvall was simply astonishing in "Get Low", my favorite movie of the year. He held himself with such incredible, quiet grace and might, and he just made the character himself. It's impressive when an actor as longstanding and recognizable as Duvall can still get lost in a character and keep the viewer entirely engrossed.











1. Christopher Nolan, Best Director, "Inception"
I didn't love "Inception" as much as some, but for Nolan to not get recognized with even a nomination is outrageous. The fact is, "Inception" was one of the most innovative movies to come out in a long time and even those who didn't like it were still blown away by Nolan's vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment